Lifting Industry Standards

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

(Please click mouse on question of interest to view the answer)

  • What impact will the Carbon Tax have on the Crane Industry?

    The Carbon Tax applies in Australia from 1/7/12. As per the ACCC guidelines businesses are entitled to increase prices as they see fit, but must not make false, misleading or deceptive claims about the prices of goods and services. For example linking price rises to the carbon price unless truthful is not permitted and must be calculated on a reasonable and independent basis, particular to your business.

    For further information refer to:

    CICA has no industry specific information available.

  • What Crane Industry Training information can CICA assist me with?

    There are various options available for crane industry training which may include:

    • CFMEU Training Schools or Preferred Providers.

             For more information refer to the Training tab at

    • Other Registered Training Organisations

             Refer to the CICA member list as some members are training providers.

    • TAFE - Some TAFEs offer training in building and construction related disciplines.

             Enquiries should be made directly to TAFE in your state.

    CICA's Training Project

    CICA is developing a Crane Industry Traineeship program including a Certificate III in Construction Industry Crane Operation.  The Certificate III involves 653 hours of training over 2 years. 

    To support this program CICA is also progressing a variation to the Modern Award to recognise a traineeship classification.

    The plan is to triall the Certificate III in NSW in 2013, with the aim of achieving approval within the National Training Package. (Refer to the CICA October 2012 newsletter item).

    More details will be provided when available.

  • What is Safe Work Australia / Where can I find information on WHS regulations and national harmonisation?

    Safe Work Australia is an Australian Government statutory agency established in 2009 with the primary responsibility of improving work health and safety and workers' compensation arrangements across Australia.  They are managing the process of drafting model WHS legislation and working toward achieving national harmonisation.

    For further information refer to

  • What is the Personal Properties and Securities Register (PPSR)?

    The Personal Properties and Securities Act was operational from 30 January, 2012.  This register aims to ensure that individuals and companies have valid and enforceable claims over assets. It covers tangible property such as motor vehicles, plant & equipment as well as intangible assets such as intellectual property, contractual rights, etc.

    CICA is supporting the EWPA / HRIA industry initiatives and has some EWPA / HRIA guidance material available to CICA members on request. Please contact the CICA office if you would like a copy.

    For further information refer to your accountant, solicitor, finance broker / advisor or the Government website

  • What is the role of the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator?

    The NHVR will regulate all vehicles over 4.5tonne with aimes to provide major productivity gains for Australia ro reduce the compliance burden on heavy vehicle transport, reduce duplication and inconsistencies and to introduce national harmonisation via one rule book / one national law. The aim is to have the NHVR operational for 1 January, 2013.

    For further information refer to

  • Where can I obtain a Licence To Perform High Risk Work?

    Contact the WorkSafe authority in your state – see links page. 
  • Where can I get advice on employee entitlements, wages & allowances?

    Fair Work Australia on Phone: 1300 799 675  Email: 

    Please refer to the attached Fair Work Information Statement. It is a legal requirement that a copy of this document if supplied to every employee.


  • Where can I access information on Australian Standards?

    Australian Standards are available for purchase from SAI Global on Phone: 131 242
    Email: , Website:

    NB. Australian Standards documents are subject to copyright laws and cannot be copied or shared.

  • What can CICA tell me about skilled migration?

    In the past there has been some media attention on engaging skilled workers from overseas. CICA's position is to primarily support recruiting locally, however this is not always possible. Based on past enquiries, CICA is aware that some Members may wish to explore the scope for recruiting skilled workers from overseas, including the temporary subclass 457 visa option (for occupations not listed on the 457 Skilled Occupations List).


    To assist Members consider the pros / cons of overseas recruitment, the following points are listed:

    This is not a quick or easy fix option and requires significant effort, preparation and IR support

    CICA does not have the expertise / resources to assist Members on this matter

    Inquiries can be made to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (

    CICA recommends referring to the AiGroup website Skilled Migration Program notes (whether an AiG member or not) for helpful information and support ( and / or talking with Suzanne via Ph: 02-9466 5468

Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2012 The Crane Industry Council of Australia. All Rights Reserved.